FOURTHCORE TEAM DEATHMATCH

April 4, 2011

Stained Glass Ceiling



This is more an addendum to my last post than anything else. In it, I described one of the Terrain Powers I added to the final encounter in WotC's 4E Tomb of Horrors. There was an additional power I added in there, one that was put out in plain sight as soon as initiative was rolled, and made available to all. The heroes, unfortunately, heard the clatter of dice and forgot their senses. They thought that I had run out of tricks and traps.

They were wrong, and for their lack of cunning, they were punished as the vine-tentacled beast of the encounter smashed the ceiling above, raining razor sharp shards of multi-hued stained glass upon the soft flesh of the dungeoneers.


 a Stained Glass Ceiling          Terrain Power
The ceiling shatters into a thousand shards of sharp glass, raining down death on those caught below.Single Use

No Action                             Area
burst 3 (centered on Dying Vorner)
Trigger: The stained glass ceiling takes damage (AC 10; Fortitude 10, Reflex 5)
Target: Each creature in burst.

Attack:
+16 vs. Armor Class
Hit: 2d8 + 12 damage, and ongoing 10 damage (save ends).
Miss: Half damage, and ongoing 5 damage (save ends).



In hindsight, the encounter still proved a touch too easy for my liking. There was a little more tension than usual, but there could be more. It could be better. To anyone looking to use this, I would double the ongoing damage values and add the following line, at a minimum:

Critical Hit: The target is decapitated and dies.

1 comment:

  1. I am definitely using this (with decapitation and double ongoing damage) during the first (of two) battle between the pcs and the paragon-tier main villains in my campaign. I have a couple of players who constantly try new things and another who does so on occasion; let's see which side attacks the other with the stained-glass ceiling first.

    Thanks for posting!

    / Rain

    ReplyDelete