FOURTHCORE TEAM DEATHMATCH

April 26, 2012

LCTN: Sanctuary

THIS IS SCENE #2 IN A PLAY-BY-POST D&D GAME


Many elements of it are unique and innovative, with several key twists that will catch the players by surprise. The adventure is deadly and devious, with victory going only to those clever enough to take it. Though it may not be a traditional Fourthcore deathtrap dungeon, I assure you, dear reader, that it holds many of the ideals of Fourthcore close to its heart.

I will keep these posts easily collapsible, so that readers may easily skip past them if they wish. Although, really, you'd be missing out.




Though the tendrils of solidarity had begun to take hold among you, Grimlock was far too impatient and playfully threw a rock-filled snowball out across the snowy field. Oh, Grimlock, you're so silly!


Will Grimlock be making a 
succulent Brunswick Stew 
for everyone tonight? 
We can only hope!
The massive projectile finds a mark and crashes through one of the few windows lining the stone building, sending shards of shattered glass spraying inside. The Dwarves' chanting stops! Clearly, they now know of your invasive presence, but how will they react?


Ghaaldar reacts faster than the Dwarves and has a single day (24 hours) of real time to submit his actions or else be Delayed to the next logical position. Thereafter, everyone will be clumped together in initiative and will collectively have three days to post actions. Weekends count as a single day. When multiple dungeoneers' turns are up, the exact order of the dungeoneers' initiative is unimportant and it is assumed that they are all creatively Delaying their actions to match up with the order at which everyone posts their turn. The Dwarves are all alert, aware, and on the defensive. The dungeoneers are located as shown on the map.



88 comments:

  1. Ghaaldar shakes his head and thinks to himself, *This might not go well.* Ghaaldar calls out to Duurkala without even glancing backwards, "Watch my back, old friend, and for gods' sakes everyone else, keep your weapons sheathed until we know which way this tide flows or I personally will end you."

    **TECH**
    **Minor**: Ghaaldar tries the door, if it is unlocked he will attempt to open it.
    **Move**: Ghaaldar, if the door is unlocked and able to be opened Ghaaldar will move into the room to position Q4.
    **Standard**: Ghaaldar will ready an action based on the specific criteria *If the Dwarven host is aggressive in any way Ghaaldar will use his Master-At-Arms feat to draw his weapon as a minor.*
    **Free**: Ghaaldar will speak the above dialogue to both Duurkala and the party.

    *If the door is locked after Ghaaldar's Minor action Ghaaldar will ready an action to use Diplomacy with the Dwarves and pray to the gods that they speak Elven as well.*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghaaldar wraps his hand around the iron door handle, icy cold to the touch. He jiggles it, but it resists his efforts. Standing next to Duurkala, the cantankerous veteran translates the shouts heard from within (all in Dwarven), "They sound a bit panicked. A woman close by says that we should leave, and that they have no money. Men's voices farther away shout out to brace the door and retrieve the silver hammer."

      [TECH]
      Perception Check (19)+6
      Insight Check (11)+7

      Delete
    2. OOC: A couple of questions before I take my turn.

      1) Where is the door? I assumed between lines P and O, and that everything in front of that was stairs. Am I correct?

      2) Should I wait for the Dwarves to take their action before posting my own?

      3) You live on the East Coast, why are all of the times on the blog set to West Coast times?

      Delete
    3. OOC:
      4) Can we get the initiative order on this post as well?

      Delete
    4. 1). The door is at square R4.

      2). I'm waiting for Ghaaldar to take his Move and Standard actions, then I'll post what the Dwarves do, then everyone else can go (including Ghaaldar again). He posted a conditional, which is nice, but I wanted to give him the benefit of adjusting it in light of the new information, namely what was heard being shouted by the Dwarves.

      3). Times, I'll look into that.

      4). Initiative order in this situation is irrelant. Once Ghaaldar goes, the order will be; Dwarves go, You Guys Go, Repeat. If it becomes more useful than a nuisance, I will post the order.

      Delete
  2. Ghaaldar's efforts on the door seeming to be in vain, he heeds Duurkala's words. "Old friend, try as hard as you can to calm them and explain our situation. I will hold my ground lest things turn."

    Ghaaldar turns to face the others, "Back off from the door and keep your weapons sheathed for now, but be ever vigilant. I have a bad feeling about this."

    TECH:
    *Move: Ghaaldar remains in his place at 4S
    *Free: the above dialogue to the party
    *Standard: Ghaaldar will enter into Total Defense (+2 to all defenses until the start of his next turn.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "Leave us now, Goblins! We have no weapons or gold."

      Duurkala conveniently translates for everyone the shouts heard from within, echoing out of the now-broken window. Ghaaldar, standing at the ready and his keen senses sharp, hears the wooden door creak a bit and steel bolts being shut.

      Over the winds whipping through the landscape, a single clarion call can be heard from within the stone hut. A clear ringing echoes from out of the building, from the western end (north is up). Lightning flashes illuminate the pale white skies.

      The Dwarves have all taken their turns. Now, every dungeoneer (even Ghaaldar) may take their turn. Since we have multiple people acting in unison, everyone has three days (Saturdays don't count) to post their actions, meaning the deadline is around 12pm noon EST on Monday April 30th.

      You may all, of course, shout as much as you like to each other before, during, or after you post your character's actions as a Free Action.

      Delete
    2. Grimlock's bloodlust quickens with the dwarven alarm. He howls a challenge in response as the strikes in the distance.

      TECH

      Grimlock scoops up the remaining improvised missiles (move) and awaits a worthy threat.

      Perception +8

      Delete
  3. Drum-Haak turns to the group and says, "Friends, if you don't mind me trying my hand at diplomacy..."

    He then knocks at the door, and says in Dwarven: "Hello good Dwarves. We are just a group of weary and cold travelers, desperately in need of warmth. Please, if you could open the door and allow us to come in, we promise that no harm will come to any of you."

    Tech: Diplomacy +10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Slick words roll of the tongue of Drum-Haak. The face of a short, bearded man appears framed by the window, small shards of glass clinging to its edges.

      "What business have your kind this far into the hills, beside destruction and plunder?"

      [TECH]
      Diplomacy Check (17)+10

      OOC: This is the extent of your turn.

      Delete
  4. Mav dressed in his cloth and unarmed slinks to the side where he can be the most effective...ly removed from harm's way, while still with in range to strike if an opportunity presents itself.

    Tech:
    Move to V1.
    Standard, full defense
    Free, "The snowball was a bad idea, perhaps we can offer to pay for damages?"

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, in case I wasn't clear here; Ghaaldar, Duurkala, Kulimvorith, and Black Lotus all can take their turns now, and have until Monday to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Durkala moves away from the door, and faces the dwarf in the window. First in Dwarven, then translating into goblin, he calls out to the dwarf "Don't get your beard in a knot, our interest is sharing your fire and shelter. If our goal was destruction and plunder, you would be dead already and we would not have bothered knocking."

    The old hobgoblin straightens. "We are the Dhakaani. We do not take that which does belong to us, we do not plunder like common bandits. We are conquerers, but we came to you in peace." He gestures to Drum-Haak and Ghaaldar. "You have heard our request. What is your response?"

    [tech]
    I don't have access to my character sheet, but I should have a +10 or +11 to diplomacy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "You speak the truth, and the past deeds of your kind bear truth and honor, despite its misguided nature. But what of the others? A massive beast I see travels with you, and burning red dragon-folk as well. Furthermore, blades such as those your bear have no place in this holy sanctuary. I will not permit such murderous tools into our home."

      [TECH]
      History Check (16)+10

      OOC: Your turn is done.

      Delete
  7. Ghaaldar stands his place while he listens to the back and forth between the Dwarves and both Drum-Haak and Duurkala. Nodding towards Duurkala, Ghaaldar takes his hand away from the hilt of his blade slowly as to not arouse suspicion.

    "I hate to even suggest it, old friend, but if between you and Drum-Haak we can cannot convince them to allow Grimlock and both of our Brother Dragonborn in as is, we may have to bind them once more." Ghaaldar looks saddened by this. "It that means the difference between dying of the frost or sitting aside a fire, then it is what must be done."

    [TECH]
    Move: None, remain in S4.
    Free: The above exchange.
    Standard: Total Defense.
    Minor: None.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Feeling the cold gnaw at his flesh, Kulimvorith becomes frustrated by the Dhakaani's incompetence. Bloodlust rising he Draws upon the favor of his master, reaching into his arcane reserves and unleashes a blast of fire at the dwarf in the window.

    [Tech]
    Move back to square 5X
    Use elemental bolt +9 vs. reflex 1d12 +1d6 +1-

    ReplyDelete
  9. The wrath of Kulimvorith knows no bounds! Disgusted, disgruntled, and refusing to kowtow to the demands of these sniveling Dwarves, the proud drake unleashes the fire that burns through his veins!

    THE DOOR IS SEARED!

    Grimlock, eager for some mischief and happy to see a "worthy threat", throws his javelin in response! The wooden shaft penetrates ash and strikes into a reinforcing cross-beam, snapping it like a twig!

    Duurkala and Ghaaldar get a very good look inside, and will report on the results to everyone in about an hour or so when the Dungeon Master has a chance to update the map.

    [TECH]
    (10)+(3)+10 = 23 fire damage
    (2)+6 damage!
    OOC: Looked this bad boy up in the DMG. Reinforced wooden door, HP 30.

    Black Lotus may now take his turn, mayhaps jumping into the building? Afterward the Dwarves act, and then the party initiative resets.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Map updated.

    The Dwarves are alarmed at the sudden turn of events, and appear bewildered with eyes wide in shock. They are all unarmed and wear but simple robes embroidered with red Dwarven lettering, ancient runes of peace and protection. Those sitting in their pews stand up at your arrival, all eyes fixed on the monstrous beasts interrupting their evening ceremonies. The Dwarves nearer to the entryway clench their fists, steely gaze fixated on Ghaaldar and Duurkala.

    Past the shadowy recesses of the vestibule, you can see a crackling fireplace to your left, a simple wooden door a little further in, and a set of shining steel double doors to the edge of your field of vision. Fiery braziers hang from iron hooks along the walls. The majority of this wide open room is dedicated to two rows of wooden pews, with tattered woven mats at the floor.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh good, this was getting kinda touchy-feely there for a moment.

    *crawls back into the lurking shadows*

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. [Free Action]
    Duurala looks at Drum-Haak, and mutters something in Dwarven

    ReplyDelete
  14. Black Lotus has been patiently observing these actions, weighing his options. When an opportunity presents itself, he leaps into action and renews the assault Kulimvorith started. With a few short, deliberate movements, Lotus propels himself through the open window and assaults the dwarf still smoldering from the drake's attack.

    [Move]
    Crane's Wings (Movement) or Drunken Monkey (Movement) to a space adjacent to the dwarf (the map does not indicate where the windows are, if I need to do some other move ability, I have a few options.
    [Standard]
    Crane's Wings
    I pus the target towards the fire, which should be possible because...
    If I hit: [Free]
    Centered Flurry of Blows
    I re-orient the dwarf to be between me and the fire, then conduct my regular push.

    If I have misused my Flurry, let me know, I am new to monks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: In the future, please post your attack roll numbers and whatnot so I don't have to go searching for everything.
      Also, unless you're in an oddball case like using an action point, if you use a Move Technique in a turn, you can't use an Attack Technique from a different discipline. As in, if you're attacking with Crane's Wings, then you can't use the special movements of any of your other powers. Full Discipline means you are in that discipline for the whole turn. In any case, normal movement gets you to where you want to be.

      Black Lotus leaps off of the side of the building and swings into the doorway, feet-first! The cunning ninja wraps his ankles around the old man's thick neck, beard hair all caught up in Black Lotus' silken ninja-pants, and the Dwarf's neck is snapped, Sayid style

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eokswtypks8

      [TECH]
      (16)+6 vs. Fortitude 17; HIT!

      Delete
    2. OOC: I apologize for not posting my numbers, I will do that in the future. As for the rest, I'm a little confused. I moved and attacked in Crane Stance. Is that not the same discipline (this is the first I've heard reference to discipline).

      PS: Sayid kills are the cleanest. Next season I intend to kill vis a vis Michael Maden.

      Delete
    3. OOC: Bears, your posted movement was to Crane or Drunken Monkey. If you were attacking with Crane Style, then you couldn't use Drunken Monkey for your movement.

      Delete
    4. OOC: Ooooh, I understand now. I will have to keep that in mind. Is it a minor to change stances or is it just a "per round" kinda thing?

      Delete
    5. Correct from Stephen!

      It's a per round kind of thing. As in, this round I will be in Crane's Wing's Full Discipline (using its attacks and move options), next round I'll be in Drunken Money. Sometimes, monks will make seemingly sub-optimal attacks so they can get access to the movement mode they need.

      Delete
    6. Also, Full Discipline powers aren't stances. It's a different mechanic! The only limit is that you can't use two different FD powers on the same turn.

      Delete
    7. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  15. The Dwarves hustle themselves, crouching low and bringing clenched fists up to bear. Enraged, a young boy run at Black Lotus, screaming, his face contorted in rage. His anger blinds him, and his clumsy attack, laughable, is easily deflected.

    However, wisdom and treachery will always triumph over youth and energy. While Black Lotus was distracted and perhaps a little overconfident, the woman next to him has sharp eyes for his weaknesses. With a huhhh!!! she spins around, lightning fast, driving her rock-solid foot into the back of Black Lotus' knee. Dropping down a few inches puts the back of his head in a direct line with the Dwarf-woman's left elbow, which had been wound up and now has sprung like a viper's strike. Reeling back from the unexpected assault, Black Lotus' scream is caught in his mouth and the matron's iron-grip catches his throat, slamming him into the cold floor.

    The majority of the congregation watches in awe, and nervously moves away. Their eyes are now fixated on the broken doorway, the winds blowing small drifts of snow indoors where it is quickly melted in so many small, little puddles.

    Lastly, the clarion sound rings clear on the noon skies. What was once a clump of darkened clouds flashes lighting across it nebulous surface. Inside the cloud, the roar of an ancient and powerful beast issues forth.

    [TECH]
    (1) HUMILIATION
    (10)+10 vs. AC 19; HIT!
    7 damage and knocked prone.

    Most other Dwarves move and Ready action to charge any enemy coming into charging range, except the elder Dwarf ringing the bell, and the young maiden next to him, protecting him as best she can.

    The entirety of the group, all seven of yas, may now take your turns.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As is, the door has actually been completely destroyed, however Black Lotus is standing in your way, preventing a charge (you can't end your turn in a occupied square, and charging ends your turn).

      Repost when you can.

      Delete
  17. Black Lotus stands, different than when he fell. Before being knocked prone, he was rapid and jovial, willing to help his group with what he assumed were his immense skills. Having been cut down to size by a mere female dwarf, his anger focuses.

    [Move]
    Stand
    [Standard]
    Crane's Wings
    +6 vs Fort
    Push away from the door.
    On Hit: [Free]
    Flurry of Blows
    +2 damage and I slide her between myself and the fire, I assume before pushing her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Spinning his legs around, Black Lotus gracefully kips up into a fighting stance. He trades a series of swings with his enemy, black, counterblock, a back and forth exchange and a rock-paper-scissors of fighting techniques.

      [TECH]
      (6)+6 vs. Fortitude 17; MISS!

      Delete
  18. Kulimvorith slides to have a clear view to into the room, spying targets aplenty he sees the chaos created by Grimlock as a perfect opportunity to wreak havoc. Holding his staff in front he jettisons a burst of fire at his foes.

    Tech: Move to square T5

    Standard: elemental bolt on square K3. +9 vs. reflex 1d10 + 1d6 +10.
    Free action: if I hit Elemental escalation adding an additional 1d10 against hit enemies and I make my secondary attack vs. the dwarf grabbing Black Lotus: +9 vs. reflex 2d10 +1d6 +10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: One of the advantages of Pbp on the computer is the ability to draw all those lines of effects and nails you with penalties.

      Kulivorith roars out, flames licking off of his red scales. He points a clawed hand towards the Dwarves standing in his way, intent on sending a jet of flame to incinerate all who stand before him.

      [TECH]
      (1)+9 -5 {cover} vs. Reflex 15; MISS!

      Delete
  19. OOC: I'll be waiting to see where people end up before I post my turn, just because with all of the movement & conditional bits, there's no telling how the actual environment will look by the time Duurkala goes

    ReplyDelete
  20. Replies
    1. Hold your horses, I'm typing as we speak and will have half the party in the cabin by the time my turn is done. =P

      Delete
    2. OOC: I'm confused on initiative order... Is it the party's turn again, meaning me as well, or what?

      Delete
    3. Yes, the comment I posted that is dated Apr 29 07:00PM

      "The entirety of the group, all seven of yas, may now take your turns."

      The initiative order goes like this: either it's the group's turn or it's the Dwarves' turn. You're all working together right now, so I don't care about who goes first within the group; just post when you have the opportunity.

      Delete
  21. Duurkala points to the Dwarf standing in the doorway "You have struck one of the Dhakaani. That mistake will carry you to your grave."

    The hobgoblin begins a low chant that fills the air around him, before letting out a warcry to warp the very dimensions, hammering against the dwarf and carrying his allies inside.

    [tech]
    Minor: Turn on Skald Aura
    Standard: Victim of the Feywild vs. the dwarf in Q4
    +5 vs Will
    1d8+4 force damage, and Ghaaldar and Drum-Haak teleport to a square adjacent (preferably on the far side of the dwarf)
    Move: Step north 1 square inside the cabin.

    (assuming his allies are inside) Duurkala calls out to Ghaaldar and Drum-Haak. "Some of the dwarves are inside praying and ringing a bell. Stop them before they can finish their summoning!"

    ReplyDelete
  22. OOC: I always kind of assume auras and stances like Skald's Aura and the various Essentials stances are always on and ready at the start of combat. I mean, no good reason for them not to be, right? You can redo that Minor Action if you like.

    Duurkala's blade shimmers and hums with magic power, a green pulse flashing along its steel length. Does Duurkala has a colorful tale to go along with such a prized treasure? That would be hot!

    In any case, the veteran warrior pushes his way to the front and brings the warping blade down onto the Dwarf's head, splitting open his skull with an effect not unlike a chainsaw, splattering brain matter across the Sanctuary's hallowed halls!

    All that blood, all that gore, pushing his way past friend and foe, it's like he's back on the front line again: www.youtube.com/watch?v=gtgTSH52D5s

    [TECH]
    (20) CRITICAL HIT!

    OOC: Map updates in just a minute...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: That was actually a ranged attack, so I'll use the minor action to draw my weapon. It does indeed have a story behind it, but that's saved for another time. All said and done, we should have Duurkala in R5, Ghaaldar in P5, and Drum-Haak in P4 after the attack/teleport.

      Delete
  23. OOC: Which side of the hut is the bell ringing coming from? i.e. Which coordinates?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To the east. I think the altar at K15.

      Delete
  24. OOC: FYI, I'm working on a quick post to describe the eastern end of the room and the triggered action: an enemy comes within 5 squares of the Readied Dwarves.

    ReplyDelete
  25. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghaaldar has been knocked prone and surrounded. Please repost when you can.

      Delete
  26. Now that their enemies have come into view, the Dwarves spring to attack!

    Drum-Haak and Ghaaldar find themselves in the midst of a coven of Dwarven widows; haven taken solemn oaths long ago swearing themselves to the virtues of chastity, poverty, and punching (www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-dYhXyOa20). They send the overconfident Dhakaani tumbling head over heels as they leap into combat, keeping the invaders from their home!

    [TECH]
    Readied Action
    Trigger: An enemy comes within 5 squares.
    Effect: Charge.

    (17)+10+1 vs. AC 20; HIT! for 7 damage and prone
    (9)+10+1+2 vs. AC 20; HIT! for 7 damage and prone
    (16)+10+1 vs. AC 15; HIT! for 7 damage and prone
    (5)+10+1+2 vs. AC 15; HIT! for 7 damage and prone

    ============
    INITIATIVE
    ============

    Ghaaldar, Drum-Haak, Mavarothix, and Grimlock can now jump in at any time with their turn.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Now with a clear view of the room, Ghaaldar and Drum-Haak can see what lies to the east. A solid piece of granite lies at the farthest end of the room. Expertly chiseled to a smooth finish, its surface shines against the torchlight. A dark blue cloth is draped overtop of it, and resting on top of that is a delicate wooden truss holding a shining silver disk, about 1 foot in diameter.

    The Dwarves stand in front of this altar; a young blonde-haired boy holding a large silver hammer, and an elderly woman with faded gray hair. The woman leans a reassuring hand on the boy's shoulder and smiles at him, while the boy tries to wipe tears from his cheeks before they reach his straw-colored beard.

    A multi-colored carpet lies on front of the altar, wear and tear marking two thin, faded spots across it. The rug itself is a rich design of intertwining reds and browns.

    ReplyDelete
  28. And to answer the question about windows; assume the windows are located wherever it is most convenient for your character at the time.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Ghaaldar stands from having been knocked down by the brave Dwarven women. Ghaaldar respects them for defending their home, despite however full and hairy their beards may be. (http://www.elfwood.com/art/c/s/cs1k2cs1m/dwarf.jpg)

    "You fools!" Ghaaldar belows as he picks himself up from the ground. "We had a chance to settle this peacefully! We had a chance to restore the Dhakaani honor and fight the stereotype of the Dhakaani being brutal savages! Yet you could not satiate your own bloodlust for but a moment!" Having picked himself off the ground Ghaaldar surveys his surroundings, seeing that Drum-Haak and himself are surrounded on all sides. "What has been started must be finished," Ghaaldar announces solemnly.

    [TECH]
    *Move: Stand up
    *Free: The above verbal insults
    *Minor: Inspiring Word on Drum-Haak (target spends a healing surge and regains 1d6HP)
    *Standard: MBA vs Dwarf in O4 (+9 vs AC, 1d10+7 damage)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: Thanks for the speedy re-post! Things get a little crazy and hard to follow sometimes.

      Ghaaldar stands up, but keeps his shoulder held low. His legs heave up the bulk of his muscular body like a coiled spring, slamming the top half of the Hobgoblin's heavy iron shield below the sternum of a squat Dwarf. The Dwarf is lifted off the ground, tossed in the air, before being sent crashing down to the floor from an overhead swing of a heavy broadsword, slicing her in twain!

      [TECH]
      (14)+9 vs. AC 19; HIT! The Dwarf at O4 is killed.
      Drum-Haak gains (5)+8 HP, almost like all that hurtin' never even happened!

      Delete
  30. OOC: End of day April 30th sure creeps up on ya.

    The limb-numbing cold begins to creep into the fingers and toes of Mavarothix, Kulimvorith, and Grimlock. A biting cold that will not go away, their extremities begin to bruise and swell as their digits literally rot in place.

    These dungeoneers have contracted frostbite, Stage 1.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Frustrated and concerned over the continued ringing of the gong, Drum-Haak shouts to his companions. "Friends, we must halt the summons. These Dwarves worship a protector spirit known as Dessakrul, a guardian Silver Dragon!"

    Bracing himself for the inevitable pain as he opens himself up to attack, Drum-Haak attempts to break the young Dwarf's concentration, and redirect his anger.

    Tech:
    Free: Above text.
    Move: Stand Up.
    Standard: Charm of Misplaced Wrath vs Hammer Bearer
    Ranged 10
    +5 vs Will
    Hit: Slide the target 3, to K11 (assuming that K12 and 13 are a rug and not blocking terrain)
    Effect (hit or miss): The target makes a basic attack against a creature of your choice (himself) as a free action. The basic attack gains a +2 power bonus to the damage roll.

    Minor: If I get hit by 2 or 3 of the OAs, use Majestic Word on myself for surge +4 healing, and slide myself back 1 square.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: Rather than using your Majestic Word (unless you have access to it each encounter), just use my Skald Aura to heal yourself as a minor action for healing surge + 1d6, since I can do it multiple times per encounter. Save the daily for emergencies.

      Delete
    2. OOC: Alright, I'll do that instead with the same conditions as above.

      Delete
    3. A bold move, Drum-Haak risks his own safety to stay focused on the task at hand: get that hammer out of there! He shut his eyes on focuses on the young boy by the silver gong, whispering words of power to himself and reciting the spells of old. He tries to stand up, but is cut back down, a savage jab to the jaw knocking loose blood and spittle from his mouth. Looking up from the ground, Drum-Haak has his revenge yet as the enchantments laid down take hold on the young boy. Barely knowing what is going on, the Dwarf finds his limbs are acting not of his own accord as his stubles about, gripping the hammer tightly, and ends up impaling himself on a splintered wooden plank from one of the nearby pews! Dead! Hammer on the ground!

      [TECH]
      Opportunity Attack: (20)+10 -2 {cover} vs. AC 15; HIT! for 7 damage and knocked back prone
      Opportunity Attack: (2)+10 vs. AC 15; MISS!
      harm of Misplaced Wrath: (18)+5 -2 {prone} vs. Will 15 +2 {aid another}; HIT! Amazing! The Dwarf is now dazed at K11.
      Follow-up Attack: (19)+10 +2 {CA} vs. AC 19; HIT!

      You didn't take multiple hits, so you are free to spend that Minor Action as you will.

      Delete
    4. I'll use Mage Hand to draw my wand as a minor.

      Delete
    5. Actually, Drum-Haak will just draw as a minor without the Mage Hand, if that's okay.

      Delete
  32. (replacing my earlier post)

    Supremely satisfied that no-one has dared approach to challeng his supreme strength, Grimlock turns his attention to his other primal needs. While seemingly unaffected by the cold, the dwarf-hold radiates warmth and comfort.

    The grim giant attempts to walk in like he owns the place.

    TECH
    Minor: Stance of the Lone Wolf
    • When you make a basic atack against a bloodied enemy, you gain a +2 power
    bonus to the atack roll.
    • At the start of each of your turns, you learn the location of every hidden, bloodied enemy within 5 squares of you.
    Double-Move: Into the warmth! He will have to squeeze past the dwarf holding the door, but I'll take the OA. Once through the doors, Grimlock will move left towards the fire.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Grimlock takes a bold move, but passes through into the warm embrace of the building one way or another!

    "LOOK OUT!!!!

    Oh, Grimlock!

    [TECH]
    (7)+10 +2 {squeezing} vs. AC 17; HIT! for 7 damage and prone

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Grimlock will actually provoke a second opportunity attack:

      (5)+10+2 {squeezing} vs. AC 17; HIT! for 7 more damage

      Delete
  34. Mav is tired of the cold. Lamenting the unnecessary violence that is taking place, he moves in to minimize the damage...at least to his own allies...

    Tech
    move to Q4 (I guess that will provoke an attack from the dwarf in the door)
    Assuming I'm still capable of acting, I'll use a standard action: Steel wind (close blast 2 vs each enemy I can see) +7 vs reflex, 1d8+5 dmg.
    assuming at least one hit, free action: desert wind fury of blows vs dwarf at Q5 (4 fire damage and -2 to attacks that include me as a target)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mavarothix jumps in through the dooorway, the warm air from inside thawing his face. As he takes a deep breath of air, that breath is knocked out of him as a craft Dwarven woman spins a roundhouse kick to his gut! She grabs Mavarothix by the shoulders and throws the frail, scaled and SLAMS him into the stone wall, dropping him to the ground!

      [TECH]
      (17)+10 vs. AC 18; HIT! for 7 damage and knocked prone
      A close blast 2 will only hit one enemy at most, so we'll go with the one adjacent to you
      (5)+7 -2 {prone} vs. Reflex 15; MISS!

      Delete
  35. The Dwarf at K14, an elderly greyhaired woman, shouts out into the room, her words echoing across the stone walls., "Go now, my son. Say the prayers, and we will protect you." A solemn Dwarf then hustles over to the fallen remains of his brother, picks up the holy silver hammer, and prepares the third ringing.

    Seeing their brothers fall to sword and sorcery, the Dwarves' hands are forced into a ferocious violence. A hobbled old woman spies Ghaaldar from around the corner and sees a weak spot, planting a kick to Ghaaldar's exposed knee. The brave warrior grits his teeth against the pain as his legs give way, sending him to the ground! Seeing further opportunity, the Coven of Widows strike out at the vulnerable warrior, kicking aside his shield to smash his nose in with a iron palm technique IN THE FACE!

    Squeezed in between the sturdy shoulders of far too many short Dwarves, Grimlock struggles for enough room to maneuver. He is a creature of the wilds, and cannot abide by these cramped conditions.

    What is best in life? The open steppe, a freed horse, falcons at your wrist, the wind in your hair.

    As the hulking beast struggles to stand back up from his initial "welcome" into the room, a trio of Dwarven brothers grab him by his long, flowing locks. With a handful of hair, they dip low, plant a foot in his gut and send the Ogre tumbling about in the openness of their sanctuary. Following up, the brothers charge after Grimlock, kicking his feet out from under him at every opportunity and throwing the giant-kin into the flames!

    "Warmth and space? We've got plenty of both in there! Hahahahah!"

    (14)+10 -2 {cover} vs. AC 20; HIT! for 7 damage and prone
    (2)+10+2 {prone} vs. AC 20; MISS!
    (13)+10+2 {prone} vs. AC 20; HIT! for 7 damage and prone

    (7)+10+2 {squeeze} vs. AC 17; HIT! for 7 damage, prone, and slide 2 squares
    (8)+10+2 {prone} vs. AC 17; HIT! for 7 damage, prone, and slide 2 squares
    (9)+10+2 {prone} vs. AC 17; HIT! for 7 damage, prone, and slide 2 squares

    Grimlock has caught on fire, and will take (1)+4 fire damage and ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends) at the start of his turn.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Maps and hit points updated.

    The whole group may now take their turns, each and every one of you, in whatever order it is that you post.

    ReplyDelete
  37. The incomparable stench of burnt ogre fills the room as Grimlock roars to his feat and sweeps the demi-humans aside with his greatclub.

    TECH:
    Aspect - determine if any nearby dwarves are bloodied
    Move - Stand
    Standard - Deliver. Greatclub +11 against the nearest dwarf (inc +2 for Cunning Stalker). 2d4 + 5 dmg on a hit.

    ReplyDelete
  38. OOC:

    There are NONE bloody Dwarves.

    The nearest Dwarf has 1 square in between himself and Grimlock. How are you attacking this dude? You can't charge him as Grimlock is in the donut hole of needed 1 squares to charge. Grimlock could charge another Dwarf, but that would probably open him up to an opportunity attack, which is kind of risky at this point. Maybe you want some ranged attacks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I meant, "Donut hole of needing TWO squares to make a charge."

      Delete
    2. OOC: *curses* I forgot that even as a large creature, Grim doesn't have reach!

      Looks like I can draw a line through the dwarves at N4 and 05. I'll use and Encounter power and chuck the Unstoppable Javelin at them. +6 vs Reflex.

      Delete
    3. *argh* If I hit, dmg is 1d6 + 6 plus.. well, you should know, shouldn't you? :D

      Delete
    4. OOC: Updates and turns have been jumping in fast this morning, I'll tweak Grimlock's attack to N4 and O7 to keep you skewering multiple Dwarves.

      Grimlock stands where he is at, eyeing the Dwarf in front of him. Seeing his foe badly hurt, the Dwarf grows cocky and overconfident, ripping his shirt off with two hands to reveal rippling abs so hard you would swear they were chiseled from the very stone of the mountain. "Hoo-ah!"

      But that was only a ruse.

      Ignoring the burning fires he is standing in, Grimlock let's loose a powerful javelin, its blade imbued with impossible sharpness. The javelin makes a gruesome shish kebab out of the Dwarves, skewering them like a roasted rabbit onto the wall in front of Ghaaldar's face!


      [TECH]
      With the weapon keyword, the javelin's attack bonus gets a boost from some of your feats/features
      (19)+8 vs. Reflex 15; HIT!
      (6)+8 +2 {cunning stalker} vs. Reflex 15; HIT!
      Save vs. Fire: (20); Success!

      Delete
  39. "Old friend," Ghaaldar grunts as he makes his way once again to his feet, "I quite do not like being on the ground. I am going to heal the idiot Ogre in hopes to circumvent some of the flames and I need you to do the same to me." Ghaaldar says as he coughs up some blood. Ready his steely eyes, Ghaaldar gets to work.

    [TECH]
    *Move: Stand up
    *Free: The above
    *Minor: Inspiring Word on Grimlock (spends a healing surge and regains an additional 1d6 HP)
    *Standard: MBA vs the Dwarf in O5 (+9 vs AC, 1d10+7 damage)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ghaaldar recovers from the humiliating assault intent on death. The Dwarven matron who had just recently sent him sprawling to the ground throws another punch, a reaching right-hand hook. Ghaaldar's military training kicks in to give him lightning-like reflexes. The woman's arm still out in the open, he quickly brings the broadsword's blade upward, slicing off the stubby Dwarven limb at the elbow. Horrid screams of pain are muffled only by the sound of bones crunching as Ghaaldar quickly rotates his body to pin the woman's torso into the stone wall by planting his heavy tower shield into her back. Crushed and dismembered, the Dwarf drops to the ground in a bloody heap.

      [TECH]
      Grimlock gains (6)+10 hp to be at 23 HP, no longer bloodied, a killer roll!
      (15)+9 vs. AC 19; HIT!

      Delete
  40. "Friends, if you'll help clear the enemies surrounding me, I can fire at the hammer-wielder without fear of reprisal."

    ReplyDelete
  41. With Drum-Haak's plea ringing in his ear, and wishing to make space for his allies to get out of the miserable, biting cold, Lotus narrows his eyes into slits and lets his training take over. A mysterious breeze seems to rise in the sanctuary. It is not the freezing wind of the mountain, but a soothing gust that seems to come from all directions at once. However, it quickly becomes apparent that Lotus' allies are the only ones who find them comforting, as they quickly begin to buffet all of the dwarves unlucky enough to be caught in the torrent of wind.

    "This is no matter of the Dhakaani being brutal, this is a group of dwarves who do not know hospitality, and will suffer for it."

    Actions
    [Free] Above speech
    [Move] Wind Through the Willows (Movement) to switch places with Q5
    [Standard] Wind Through the Willows against the dwarves in O3 and R4
    +7 vs Reflex
    2d8+6 to each hit, slows and prevents charging UEoNT
    [Effect] Shift to N3 to eventually set-up a flank
    [Free] Centered Flurry of Blows (2dmg) against O3, slide enemy to N4

    [Free]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black Lotus moves like a shadow across the floor, slipping between friend and foe alike. A look of surprise spreads across the face of the Dwarf locked in hand-to-hand combat with Ghaaldar, as she is tossed about by the blowing winds and then has her neck snapped! by agile hands. Looking out to the valley, Black Lotus raises his arms and is carried away backwards upon the breeze crouching tiger style to land next to a burly Dwarven man. Wipping wind knocks the Dwarf down to the ground, where Black Lotus stomps the back of his head where the stone wall meets the floor, snapping the Dwarf's neck cleanly.

      [TECH]
      (9)+7 -2 {cover} vs. Reflex 15; MISS!
      (11)+7 +2 {squeezing} vs. Reflex 15; HIT!

      Delete
  42. Kulimvorith moves to stand next to the black lotus. Seeing the dwarves at the far end of the temple he unleashes a concussive burst of fire from his staff aimed at the dwarves in row 14.

    Tech: ignition hots both for +8 vs fort 1d10 +10. If I hit either elementtal escalation for an additional 1d10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: I can always tell when someone is Commenting from a smartphone ...

      The fires of hatred burn hot in Kulimvorith's veins! Stepping into the stone shelter, he screams out and unleashes the inner fire, burning the thatch roof and sending a pile of flaming straw atop the boy holding the silver hammer. In horror, his mother watches him die in a fire. In satisfaction, Kulimvorith chuckles to himself.

      [TECH]
      (17)+8 vs. Fortitude 17; HIT!
      (5)+8 vs. Fortitude 17; MISS!

      Delete
  43. Note: when she starts her turn she takes 3damage fire if that matters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is important.

      Thusly, the fires will engulf and burn her alive.

      Delete
  44. Duurkala's chant takes on a sombre tone as he steps into the hut. The chant is no longer words of battle, but a list of names. The great Dhakaani kings who conquered the land, and bent it to their will.

    Morthos, the dragon-slayer;
    Vera-priaath, the conquering queen;
    Drak-Ilang, the shipbuilder;
    Kalek, the first archmage...

    The list goes on as Duurkala charges forward, sword low. With a roar, he swings it up and across the midsection of the dwarf in front of him.

    [tech]
    Move: Walk to N2
    Minor: Words of Gravity
    Standard: Charge to L3 +10 vs AC (+9 +1 charging)
    Damage: 2d8 + 5 & Drum-Haak gains a +2 bonus to defenses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With those final words bearing the gravitas of the Dhakaani clans, the last of the Dwarves is cut down like wheat.

      THE SAGA CONTINUES: http://dmg42.blogspot.com/2012/04/lctn-exploring-sanctuary.html

      Delete