FOURTHCORE TEAM DEATHMATCH

October 18, 2012

SND-02: BLEAK SEMINARY


The floor of this vast tiered seminary is not hewn from stone, but rather thick chipped glass. Hundreds of feet beneath the glass roils a lake of churning balor blood from which islands of brimstone stalagmites jut.

Towering ivory bookshelves line the walls, each filled with thousands of tomes bound in wriggling raw skin.
image from grind4e.blogspot.com

Several pillars rise from between the stacks, each with three muzzled flameskulls chained to an iron hook at its apex.

A 10 ft. tall statue of a demonic woman with a veil across her face looms in the center of the library (squares N11 - O12). She clutches an iron brazier in her hands. Six pedestals surround the statue.


A balcony rises above the entire seminary. A lectern is visible near its ledge (square U15).

Approximately a dozen murderous imps flock from shelf to shelf, rearranging tomes, shuffling papers, and lighting the innumerable crimson candles that hover in the acrid air. They seem not to have noticed your arrival.


Behind one bookshelf lies a detailed, life-sized mosaic of a prostrate succubus. The tiles are made of obsidian and carved bone, highlighted with dark red blood.

Kaddim overcomes his fears and recovers THE CATECHISM OF THE HERESIARCH from the lectern.


116 comments:

  1. Carefia ruffles her nose at the smell of the hellpools below and gives a look to her allies as she points down the long corridor leading into the Seminary. "Imps," she whispers, "And a lot of them, too."

    Tech: From her current spot (staying in A5), she examines her immediate surroundings (the chipped glass, the stairway leading up the corridor towards the larger room)
    Perception +6
    She also tries to gain some insight as to the motives of the imps, if there is any beyond managing the upkeep of the place. Insight +13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [CAREFIA]
      Carefia has a developed sense of knowing how to react to someone else's emotional state, a fortunate skill developed for most unfortunate circumstances.

      The imps are, in fact, aware of the opened brass door and the dungoneers peeking their heads through. They are overtly focused, however, on their bookkeeping tasks at hand. Fear crosses their faces, as well as a focused concentration.

      [TECH] Perception check (1)+6; Insight (10)+13

      Delete
  2. OOC: What's the lighting like in the hallway? i.e. How far could someone maintain concealment?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: Also, can I take knowledge check on the imps? Arcana +13

      Delete
  3. Talon will begin to slowly creep up the hallway, keeping a keen eye out for any concealed danger and doing his best not to draw attention to himself.

    Perception +15
    Dungeoneering +12
    Stealth +14

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seeing his friend seize the initiative, Nettle will first step back into the doorway, and cast an enchantments. To outward appearances he now appears more friendly, attentive, and perhaps even more attractive.

    He will then follow within 25 feet of Talon as before, with virtue of prescience at the ready.

    Tech:
    Move: to A7
    Minor: Words of Friendship, +5 to next diplomacy check
    Move: follow Talon, four squares away.

    Stealth +10
    Perception +9

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brand moves with the group, following close behind Talon (10 - 15ft where there's space)

    Whispering mostly to himself:
    "Imps...I hate Imps.."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oros pulls his camouflaged hood over his head and advances with Talon helping him ferret out any suprises the Heresiarch may have in store.

    Tech:
    Move: keep pace with Talon one square diagonally back looking for traps while advancing down the hall and maintaining cover for stealth if possible.
    Perception +11
    Dungeoneering +11
    Thievery +15
    Stealth +12

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOC: Sorry for the long delay in response, I was at work doing SCIENCE.

    [NETTLE]
    The light is bright due to all of the crimson candles throughout this chamber.

    [TALON]
    Shadows prove to be thy ally in this endeavor, and thou approaches the imps soundlessly. Thou creeps up to Column N (picked in an arbitrary manner) without causing any noticeable disruptions in the Imps' work.

    From here, thou can see the tops of the lectern and six pedestals; all bear a book. The tome on the lectern is open, the six on the pedestals are closed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [TECH] Stealth check (16)+14; Perception check (13)+15

      Delete
  8. Carefia follows suit, keeping herself in a position which would offer the rune of protection to the largest number of her allies as they progress down the hall. Her gorgeous presence and the mystical air about her make all those around her seem more affable as well.

    Tech: Move in whichever fashion benefits the most allies with the resist 2 all rune of protection.
    Group diplomacy: +1 to diplomacy checks for those close enough to her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Before his spell wears off (OOC: EoNT should still be active) Nettle will sheath his dagger and attempt to parley with the imps, unarmed hands held open.

    "Industrious friends, we mean you no harm at all nor do we wish do disturb your work. Can we safely pass? To your knowledge, will the floor bear our weight?"

    Tech:
    Diplomacy +18 or 19 if words of friendship and group diplomacy stack (WOF is a power bonus).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [NETTLE]
      The two red-skinned demonlings nearest to thou abruptly stop their frantic filing and turn to you, speaking in high-pitched, raspy voices,

      "Please, vile heretic, pass through quickly and leave us be to our pitiable toils. As an offering of supplication, we will divulge this secret of our master: this floor upon which we hover about is welded is indeed many feet thick and imbued with prayers of strength and resilience. Thy footfalls will prove insignificant. The glass floor is not so much to keep thyselves out of the abyss below, but rather to keep away the horrors below."

      The Imps then immediately return to their work.

      [TECH] Diplomacy check (6)+14 +4 +1

      Delete
    2. Nettle will carefully consider these words and the tone conveyed with them before responding.

      Tech:

      Insight +9 (OOC: if someone wants to help me with this, I'd appreciate it).

      Delete
    3. [NETTLE]
      The Imps appear to be telling the truth, and are interested in keeping you out of the way.

      [TECH] Insight check (hidden)+9

      Delete
  10. "My thanks, dear friends. We will move onwards with our quest. First, though, are there other dangers we should be aware of in this seminary? Can you tell us the secret of the statue and the closed tomes? Your help would make us grateful. In exchange we can try and free you from the misery of eternal slavery to your masters."

    Tech:

    Free: above text, Diplomacy +19 if another check is needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [NETTLE]
      A clatter of books and crackling, yellowed paper slams down onto the surface of the rough glass floor. "IMPATIENT MORTAL! RUDE! ARROGANT! CAN THOU NOT SEE THE URGENCY OF OUR TASK!?"

      The Imp immediately goes back to its bookkeeping after the short tirade.

      Delete
  11. Hearing these words, Brand tightens his group around his sword as he attempts to recall his knowledge if the infernal Imps.

    Glancing to Nettle he whispers "Careful brother, I believe these wretches weave truth and lies as easily as your own kind. Perhaps we should test the floor as we progress?"

    Dungeoneering +5
    Nature +7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [BRAND]
      The refraction of light leads thy senses to the same conclusion: the floor is made of strong glass many feet thick.

      [TECH] Dungeoneering check (16)+5

      Delete
  12. Talon begins to advance slowly into the seminary, searching intently for any sign of betrayal. A single bead of sweat drips down his face, the only sign of the trepidation and fear boiling under the surface of the archer's cold exterior.

    Perception +15
    Insight +7

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [TALON]
      Using the prior skill check results, thou steps forward into the room and detect no danger. A door of steel-rimmed oak is spotted up ahead on one of the raised balconies.

      Delete
  13. Nettle will follow as before, but will hover 1 square up.

    Tech:
    Dungoeoneering: +12
    Arcana: +13
    Perception: +9

    ReplyDelete
  14. From his relatively safe position inside the room, Nettle will scan around for magical auras on the statue, the flame-skull braziers and the tomes on the pedestals and the lectern.

    Tech:

    Arcana +13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: Map updated.

      [NETTLE]
      The muzzled flameskulls have minor enchantments placed on them, simple cantrips of binding.

      The tomes have powerful enchantments upon their pages, and you can see that each is locked with a sturdy looking iron clasp and has something written on its cover. The magic contained within is hidden behind a warding enchantment that obscures its tell-tale signs.

      [TECH] Arcana check (12)+13

      Delete
    2. OOC: And the tome on the lectern?

      Delete
    3. My bad. Same magical nonsense, but the tome on the lectern is open.

      Delete
  15. OOC: can we get a map update? I believe we're all up or around column N at this point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: I'm still following 4 squares behind Talon.

      Delete
    2. OOC: I'm following one square behind Talon

      Delete
  16. Carefia follows 5 ft. behind Talon, staying wide of the flameskull contraptions.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brand sticks to the middle somewhere. 2-3(4?) squares behind the leader, wherever there's room.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Seeing that imps do not appear to be moving against us, Kaddim detaches himself from the rest of the group and slowly paces around the room clockwise, looking but not touching at the titles of these books and how they are organized.

    OOC: just trying to catch up to speed here, very interesting that the imps want to ignore us. Kaddim will use detect magic as he walks the room, and try to determine what type of books this seminary holds. Lastly, do we see any creatures from through the glass floor? Did I miss the imps saying anything about what being kept out?

    Assuming the imps don't pester me or the group, I will swing my arcane sight around the whole room, not leaving out the upper floors.

    Arcana for any aura around the room :+13,
    History/Perception/insight for the books titles or organization: +13/ +4 / +4, respectively.
    Perception +4 for looking down through the glass floor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [KADDIM]
      All of the books are written in Abyssal and Supernal and detail a number of subjects mundane, but hideous and grotesque. The precise order of them seems to be a subject of great concern for the Imps.

      Peering through the glass, thou sees numerous creatures writhing in the hellscape below. One in particular is an infamous tiefling with a
      distinctive missing eye – Embacar the Wicked. He crawls along a bit of stone, vomiting forth a purse full of barbed gold coins covered in his own blood and gore. He scrambles to grab hold of the coins before they tumble into the boiling demonic blood.

      [TECH} Perception check (12)+4; History check (16)+13

      Delete
    2. And no new magical auras detected.

      [TECH] Arcana check (3)+13

      Delete
    3. OOC: so none of the other tomes radiant magic? What about the demonic woman?

      Delete
  19. OOC: Whoops! Glanced at the wrong line of text....

    [NETTLE]
    You detect a magical aura of lightning and transmutation, strangely emanating from behind a bookshelf (square O3).

    [KADDIM]
    The tomes magic auras are obscured by another spell. The statue of the demonic woman is not magical, but thou recognizes her image as that of Anat, sister and lover of Ba'al. Heat radiates from burning white coals held in a brazier on her hands.

    OOC: I know you guys are super psyched, but these rapid-fire Comments (including the OOC thread) sometimes get me all jumbled up as I scramble to read everything and keep it all straight.

    [TECH] H

    ReplyDelete
  20. Carefia ascends with an astute eye to investigate the lectern and the open tome that rests upon it. She wonders if any other-worldly languages might be written on it or any of the other tomes, as she knows deep speech fluently. She searches for runes of power on the cover or in the pages and looks for any trapping mechanisms in and around that area of the balcony.

    OOC: move to W15, roll history +8 and thievery +8 on the lectern and open tome as well as Perception +6 to discern any messages or function words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [CAREFIA]
      The open tome is stitched in pages of dried skin and written in blood. It is a catechism book of foul, unholy hymns to the Heresiarch.

      Dost thou touch it?

      Delete
    2. Carefia reaches her hand towards the book, pretending as if to touch it but does not, she tries to act like she is and then gauge the reactions of any nearby imps.

      Tech: Bluff +3 to "act" like she's touching the open tome. Insight +13 to gauge imp reactions.

      Delete
    3. [CAREFIA]
      The Imps are neither concerned or, quite frankly, impressed with thine shenanigans.

      [TECH] Bluff (18)+3; Insight (3)+13

      OOC: Hey Graham, what's that place with all the goofy shit on the walls?

      Delete
  21. OOC: A little bit of a stretch for what was stated and originally designed in the adventure, but you guys have been trying pretty hard ...

    [KADDIM]
    Thine inspection of the books contents reveals a curious anomaly. The books located at the shelf along Column O are all fiction. Every other book is not.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oros approaches the book shelf that seems to be eliciting all the excitement with his companions.

    OOC:
    approach the bookshelf in 03 without upsetting the imps and check the bookshelf (without touching it!) for any traps or triggers.

    Perception +11
    Thievery +15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [OROS]
      Through the gaps between the books, thou spies a multicolored mosaic of stones embedded in the wall, hidden behind the bookshelf.

      [TECH] Perception (5)+11

      Delete
  23. Brand approaches one of the books around the statue and attempts to discern the warding protection of the tomes before attempting to read what's on the cover. (without touching it)

    Move to N9
    Arcana +13
    Perception +5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [BRAND]
      Thou efforts are stymied as the powerful wards obfuscate any hints as to the true nature of the books' powers.

      Brand creeps along the edge of the circle of six pedestals, examining the titles of the iron-locked books beneath the heat and ruddy glow of the burning coals, held on high in the arms of the extraordinarily tall bronze statue.

      They read: HAND OF FATE, WISH, KNOCK, SPEAK WITH DEAD, REMOVE AFFLICTION, and DETECT OBJECT

      Delete
  24. Brand peers at the formation of the pedestals to possibly gain any clue to the meaning of their order, or if they can be moved (no touching!)

    Additionally, Brand observes which book lies below the brazer held by the statue

    Perception +5
    Dungeoneering +5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: please excuse the lack of flair and any typos, Im out surveying a hospital's HVAC systems all day.

      [BRAND]
      The pedestals look pretty heavy, theyre solid marble, but could be dragged around with some effort.
      The DETECT OBJECT tome is pretty much under the coals, but the brazier is like 8an ft. In the air, so the heat isnt that bad.

      Delete
  25. OOC: Can I take a knowledge check on the imps? Arcana +13

    ReplyDelete
  26. [NETTLE]
    The imps are book imps, cursed servants commonly used for menial tasks by abusive demon lords.
    They have variable resistance, teleportation spells, and a level equual to yours.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Heeding the call for an arcane specialist, Brand nods as he ascends the stairs to investigate the open tome on the lectern.

    (ooc: looking for any association between this book, and the warding magic of the closed books below, or the lightning enchantment from the wall)

    Arcana +13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [BRAND]
      Thiu senses no direct connection between any of those spells.

      [TECH] Arcana (5)+13

      Delete
  28. OOC: How high is the ceiling above O3?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [NETTLE]
      An even ceiling; 10 ft. from yellow tile squares and 20 ft. from grey tile squares.

      Delete
  29. Carefia, hearing that Brand's magical investigation of the lectern tome proved no connection, retreats back in haste towards the other party members around the hidden-mosaic.

    "Come Brand, it seems as if they are discussing moving this shelf to see what's behind. Let's hope this doesn't infuriate the imps..."

    OOC: She moves to N6

    ReplyDelete
  30. Nettle will land and prepare to defend her allies if things turn ugly.

    Tech: land in square N7, use VoP if an imp attacks one of my allies (or a trap, if that counts as an "enemy") for a +4 to the targeted defense.

    ReplyDelete
  31. While brand is busy not touching those books, Kaddim interest is peaked by the hidden mosaic behind the shelf of fictional work. He tries to move the bookshelf out of the way, trying not to disturb the books and anger the imps. If this attempt fails, he has carefia and oros aid him.

    OOC: athletics +6; if the others aid me, that would be an extra +4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: Map updated. New picture above.

      [KADDIM]
      No assistance fucking necessary! Out of the way, losers! Kaddim, chomping on a stogie like a badass, elbows past a now annoyed Imp. His fiery hands grab hold of the bookshelf, burning handprints on either side, and yanks the fucking shit right of the fucking shelf. HOO-AH!!!

      [TECH] Athletics (20)+8

      Behind the bookshelf, thine eyes fall upon a stunningly detailed mosaic of a prostrate succubus. The tiles are made of obsidian and carved bone, with highlights of darkened blood painted onto it.

      Delete
  32. Talon moves to R6 and readies an action to twin strike the imp at V12 if the imps turn hostile.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Brand nods to Carefina and descends the stairs after her. Pacing over to Ouros he says: "Lets get this bookcase out of the way"

    Eyeing the Imps, he waits to see their reaction to disturbing their library.

    Tech:
    Move to P4
    Athletics +8 to move the Bookcase

    ReplyDelete
  34. Carefia waits to see if Brand and Kaddim can handle moving the bookcase, watching the nearest imp in case he gets angered and comes for her. She mutters something on her lips and points her scimitar upwards.

    OCC: Stay in N6 and she readies her at-will Word of Binding on the P3 imp.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Keeping a wary eye on the imps Oros prepares to help move the bookcase

    Athletics +7 to assist

    ReplyDelete
  36. OOC: There are no readied actions outside of combat. If there were, typically everyone would ready an action to wreck their enemies (I mean, why not always do that?), and thus we would have to roll for initiative as both conditions would trigger simultaneously. In more rare cases, one side might have their "trigger" go off first, which would simply imply a surprise round.

    ReplyDelete
  37. "kinky".

    OOC: now we detected magic here, yes? Is the mosaic radiating magic? And does It match the statue of Anat?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: Silly me. I forgot the statue is veiled. Kaddim will mage hand the veil away from the Statue of Anat's face and compare it to the painting of the prostrate succubus.

      Delete
    2. [KADDIM]
      A translucent hand materializes near the statue's towering height. The veil creaks and groans as it is lifted, tiny bits of rust falling to the ground. In place of a face, the statue has naught but a solid, square piece of bronze.

      And a keyhole.

      Delete
  38. OOC: Hey guys.

    In the wild excitement to start this game up, I totally fucked up something. Please accept my humble apologies and checkout your CRUSADER CARDS here:

    http://dmg42.blogspot.com/2012/08/snd-02-crusader-cards.html

    Hey, at least I caught it before any combat, amiright?



    ReplyDelete
  39. OOC: no problem. We can hardly complain about getting a free power!

    Talon will circle the seminary, attempting to spy any other mosaics or hidden objects located behind the other bookshelves.

    Perception +15

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [TALON]
      Recalling the hidden mosaic, Talon makes a generalized sweep of the area and looks behind each bookcase specifically. He finds naught of interest.

      [TECH] Perception check (17)+15

      Delete
  40. Nettle will fly over to the mosaic and attempt to ascertain the nature of the magical aura around it, whether it's connected to anything else in this room, a sense of its purpose, etc.

    Tech: Arcana +13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [NETTLE]
      Unknown.

      [TECH] Arcana check (10)+13

      Delete
    2. Scratching his head, Nettle will next have a look at the materials comprising the mosaic and see if they match other objects in the room. He'll try to determine if there is a secret opening behind the mosaic (without touching).

      Tech:
      Dungeoneering +12
      Perception +9

      Delete
    3. [NETTLE]
      For the most part, the materials comprising teh mosaic are as described above (obsidian, bone, blood).

      However.

      Upon Closer Inspection, Nettle finds that the two pieces making the succubus' lips are, in fact, made of iron.

      Delete
  41. Carefia looks up at Nettle with interest and anticipation. She says, "Give it a tap, for behind it may be hollow."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I shall use my eyes first, but if those fail mayhap brother Kaddim's spectral hand can try it with us at a safe distance."

      Delete
  42. Nettle will fly to square M6 and land.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Oros will inspect but not touch the iron lips on the mosaic to see if they might be the trigger for some kind of trap.

    Perception +11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: are you referring to the perception check I made on the bookshelf that found the mosaic?

      Delete
    2. OOC: Im referring to the mosaic. No amount of skill checking will help you now.

      Delete
  44. Brand will kiss the Succubus!

    OOC: lets do this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OOC: "Charge" didn't seem appropriate. So i went with the next best thing...

      Delete
    2. OOC: When in doubt, make out with the demon painting?

      Delete
  45. [BRAND]
    Thou feels the iron lips of the succubus pressed close against yours. Lightning crackles and dances across your soft flesh, tickling you in the most tender of places. With a gentle click, the lips pull back into the wall. Nearby (squares I5 and J5) the marble wall retracts to reveal a darkened, hidden chamber...

    http://dmg42.blogspot.com/2012/08/snd-02-confessional.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the grinding sound of stone on stone rumbles low across the Seminary. The Imps begin to sweat, some of them tremble, as they struggle with their task. When you pass by one of them, it grunts and frets to itself; breathing in quick, shallow, hyperventilating breaths.

      Delete
  46. Brother Mikhail the Stalker cracks his chainreach rapier in the air, pounds his fist against his chest plate, and moves to investigate the wooden door on the other side of the balcony.

    "Let's get a move on," he says, stroking his beard as he kneels to examine the hinges and listen beyond.

    Tech: Perception +5

    ReplyDelete
  47. OOC : Im out if town today and tomorrow, so updates might be a little sparse and I might handwave here and there.

    [MIKHAIL]
    The door opens to reveal wide stone stairs. To your left, they ascend up and thou hears organ music. To the right, the stairs plunge into darkness and silence.

    ReplyDelete
  48. Convinced that the key to anats statue is somewhere in this seminary, Kaddim summons a dark-red colored Nate hand and starts to search the area. He runs the hand along the tops of the book shelves (if time, all of them), dunks it not the flame skulls, to check, and even had the hand dig through the iron brazier the statue holds, taking out the coals just in case the key lays at the bottom.

    OOC: summon Mage hand, command it to sweep along the tops of the bookshelves not caring if it disturbs the imps. Dip it into the flame skulls like a claw game, and finally have it rake out the coals from the brazier in Anats hand. Should convince us if the key isn't in the room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [KADDIM]
      You are now able to see the coals. They are shaped as horned skulls and are searing to the touch (10 fire damage to creatures hit with the coals).
      Nothing else.

      [TECH] Perception (3)+4

      Delete
  49. Nettle will fly over to the doorway and try to determine the nature and purpose of the organ music.

    [Tech]

    History +13
    Religion +13

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [NETTLE]
      The tune is an old song lamenting the pains of unrequited love.

      [TECH] History (3)+13

      Delete
  50. Oros accompanies Nettle to the doorway where he pulls himself deep into his cloak and stealthily searches the landing and the stairs up towards the music for traps.

    Tech:
    Assume Aspect of the Lurking Spider (+2 Stealth)
    Stealth + 14
    Perception + 11

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [OROS]
      Thine sharp eyes find no hazards on either stairs or the landing. Oros' body sticks close to the cold stone walls, wreathed in shadow.

      [TECH] Perception (6)+11; Stealth (hidden)

      Delete
  51. Brother Mikhail waits in the entryway to the perpendicular stairway, breathing heavy in anticipation of Nettle's findings. The razor-sharp scorpion shelling of his armor emphasizes his bulky build and his vampire bloodline is visible only by means of overly pointed canines. He looks (doesn't move) down into the darkness below as the others investigate the organ tunes.

    Perception +5

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [MIKHAIL]
      Straining thy eyes, ruddy light glows from down the path.

      OOC: You going down?

      Delete
  52. Nettle will let the dirge's surprising grace move him, before quietly following behind Oros at a safe distance.

    [Tech]

    Float 5 squares of Oros as before, and use VoP if he is attacked.
    Stealth +10

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nettle will also keep his senses open to threats, especially of the magical kind.

      Arcana +13
      Perception +9

      Delete
  53. Lord Xann could swear he's heard that tune before... (history +12)

    The warlord will also attempt to ascertain whether there is a magical nature to the lamenting melody (arcana +12)

    Apart from that, Xann will remain down in the seminary, awaiting the scout's findings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [XANN]
      The song is magical in nature, a Conjuration spell of exceptionally weak power, but one that thou art not familiar with.

      [TECH] Arcana (18)+12 ; History (4)+12

      Delete
  54. Oros ascends the stairs towards the music constantly scanning for any new signs of danger and sticking to the shadows.

    OOC:
    Move up the stairs making perception checks for traps whenever there is a new item that I can take one on (I don't know if your doing checks stair by stair of the whole staircase as one)
    Also keep to cover and will stop if I see any creatures.
    Stealth +14
    Perception +11

    ReplyDelete
  55. OOC: Oros' first Perception check covers teh whole lot. I'm assuming everyone moves up with Oros, except Mikhail who is observing the downward steps.

    OOC: The full OOC Thread is conveniently linked at the top of all the Room posts.


    The heretic dungeoneers move further into the Heresiarch's fane, finding THE BLACK CATHEDRAL.

    http://dmg42.blogspot.com/2012/08/snd-02-black-cathedral.html

    ReplyDelete
  56. After a long journey through the bowels of the Fane, Kaddim returns to the Bleak Seminary; battered, bruised, clutching onto life.

    ReplyDelete
  57. Reentering the seminary quickly, Kaddim ignores the hustle and bustle of the imps at work and heads up to the balcony containing the lectern and Catechism. Upon reaching the lectern unopposed, Kaddim pulls the flame skull familiar from his left robe pocket. "Cackle, it's too bad you can't manipulate objects for me. Make sure to remind me to build you arms once we leave this terrible place". "Sire, don't bother, your never making it out of here alive!!!!!" The flameskull retorts as it whirls around Kaddims head. "Your useless Cackle, maybe I should polymorph you into a lizard instead...or leave you back in the manti-taurs maze". Kaddim then turns his attentions to the lectern, studying it before finally daring to lift a page of the book with via his magical hand. The only true assistant a wizard needs. If nothing happens, he will lift the book with his Mage hand and return to the ambulatory and try to reenter the mother cloister.


    OOC: a little gamble here, first Kaddim will inspect the lectern and book with arcana/religion +13; perception +4. If nothing worrisome is noticed, Kaddim will use a Mage hand to flip the open page of the book, and then attempt to lift it off the lectern. He will then flip through the pages looking for any passages pertaining to the mothers of all mariliths, before returning to the ambulatory attempting touching the heart of khaldun while it lays in the hands of the marilith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [KADDIM]
      Thou moves as cautiously and carefully as thou can, which isn't really much to tell the truth, but are rewarded for thine courage! Kaddim grabs the CATACHISM OF THE HERESIARCH (see new image above, score updated) and returns to the MOTHERS' CLOISTER.


      [TECH]
      Arcana (7)+13, Perception (2)+4



      OOC: Loving the dialogue with Cackle!

      Delete
  58. Nelson's a greedy little halfling. "Treasure, gold, silver, whatever fits in the bag, whatever things I can grab."

    In the Mother's Cloister he snagged a Nimbus of Warding, while hearing the resting adventurers discuss ritual books and a lock to be picked - somewhere farther back in the Fane. He tells the rest of the group that he's going back to pick the lock in the statue's face, and that they're welcome to join him - but damn that little halfling moves fast!

    OOC: I'll assume that one of you decides to lead Nelson back (since Nelson wouldn't know the way) or, gives me directions. Or Nelson just follows the smell of that flame skull, Cackle, which is still lingering in the halls from whence Kaddim came - and smells like perpetually burning gasoline I assume.

    When Nelson returns, he raises an eyebrow at the strange imps, and then climbs around the shoulders of the veiled demonic woman statue, and gets to work with his lockpicks.

    Tech: Thievery +14 to pick lock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. [NELSON]
      No matter how hard Nelson concentrates and fiddles around with the lock, he cannot seem to make any progress at it at all. The locking mechanism in the statue's face is utterly confounding. Sweat drips down off of his chin as he works, the heat wafting up from a bowl of hot coals held aloft by the statue.

      [TECH]
      Thievery (5)+14

      Delete
    2. Oros whom was following the halfing sees him struggling with the keyhole to no avail. Cracking his knuckles he pulls out his thieves tools and see if he can have any better luck.

      Thievery +17 to pick lock

      Delete
    3. [OROS]
      Oros shares notes with Nelson and gives it another shot, emboldened with the deft skill of Eternal Marduk.

      Frustratingly, he makes no progress either.

      [TECH]
      Thievery (7)+17

      Delete
  59. Enough of this brave fellows, let us return to the watchtower and add our treasures to the constellation. Our time is running out!

    OOC: the hardest lock to pick is always the one we're really focused on....back to the watchtower, I'd like to see whats going on with this extra planet we've summoned.

    ReplyDelete